BBQ Green Beans — "Sweet & Spicy"

     Although my preference is fresh green beans, steamed, I’ve had several requests for this recipe that uses the canned variety. If you are cooking for a crowd and don’t have time for last minute vegetable preparation, this is a handy alternative; the beans also hold well in a hot box or in an oven turned on low. Although I’ve never prepared them in a slow cooker, it seems that would be another suitable cooking method.
     The recipe comes from my sister’s mother-in-law (Sal Payne) and then I adapted it for large groups (50). Although the recipe has you just add raw onions and bacon to the rest of the ingredients, I have always fried the bacon and then sautéed the onions in the bacon grease for additional flavoring. Also I have sometimes increased the temperature (to 350°) and decreased the baking time to about 1 hour+.

"Sweet & Spicy" BBQ Green Beans     Allow 1/2 cup per person serving size
3 cans cut green beans (approximately 15 oz. can size)
1 diced medium onion
1 cup catsup
1 cup brown sugar
5 slices uncooked bacon, diced

1. Combine ingredients; add to a (covered) baking dish.
2. Bake at 250°, covered for 3 to 4 hours

For 50 --  according to Food for 50, use 2 #10 cans of beans; double above ingredients. However, according to label on can, one would need 2 1/2 (#10) cans for 50.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment