Korean Spinach Salad -- An Oldie but Goodie

    While making a chef salad the other evening, I suddenly thought of this salad. I used to make it at least once during either the spring or summer months but it’s been awhile.
     Actually I haven’t made it since we remodeled the kitchen. The “Salads & Vegetables Cookbook” (revised edition—Favorite Recipes’ of Home Economics Teachers, 1979) used to be located in my grandparent’s old hossier cabinet but I had no idea where that cookbook was in the “new” kitchen! Determination and lots of looking and sorting finally yielded the book. However, I had to do some more searching before I finally located the actual recipe. Which makes me think . . . computer recipe files sure are nice (and yes, I keep a back-up of EVERYTHING . . . just in case + now I have all my favorites on this blog). What! You thought I was doing this for you!

Korean Spinach Salad
Dressing:
2/3 cup vegetable oil (canola)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup ketchup
1/3 cup wine vinegar or use rice vinegar
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
½ to 1 teaspoon salt
About ¼ teaspoon pepper
Salad:
1½ lb. fresh spinach (baby or small leaf preferred)
8 oz. fresh or canned bean sprouts (drain if using canned)
1 (8½ oz.) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
Onion slices, optional (red, white or yellow — slice thin)
5 slices bacon, fried crisp
2 hard-cooked eggs, sliced

1.  Dressing: Combine oil, sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Whisk and chill.
2.  Salad: Tear rinsed spinach into bite-sized pieces, if needed. Combine spinach, sprouts and water chestnuts, and onions. Crumble bacon into salad.
3.  Add dressing about 15 to 20 minutes before serving (I don’t always use it all); toss. Garnish with sliced eggs.

Nutritional Analysis per serving  (1/6 of the portion size; 277g): Calories 388, Fat 26.8g (Saturated Fat 2.4g, Cholesterol 62mg), 483Sodium mg, Carbohydrate 32.4g (Fiber 2.6g, Sugars 12.5g) Protein 7.9g, Vit 217A %, Calcium 14%, Vit C 99%, Iron 24%.

No comments:

Post a Comment