His Chili - Barry’s version!

     Barry adds more liquid to his chili (than I do) giving it more of a thickened soup-like consistency. And, he even wrote down the ingredients (well, kind of ) as he prepared this batch.
     Hit the spot on a chilly fall evening and the freshly grated cheese and chopped onions were a nice addition.
    
Barry’s Chili
1 onion, diced
Olive oil
1teaspoon minced garlic
¾ to 1 lb. lean ground beef
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 ½ teaspoons chili powder
1 tablespoon chili-cumin-garlic blend (or use additional amounts of the separate seasonings)
2 cups beef stock
¼ cup white wine or use additional beef stock or even water
2 (15.5 oz.) cans chili beans
1 (15.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes

1.     In a stock pot, sauté onion in a little olive oil until tender; add mince garlic and then ground beef. Cook on medium heat until beef loses pink color.
2.     Sprinkle in flour and seasonings and thoroughly blend.
3.     Stir in beef stock and wine.

4.     Add beans and tomatoes and let mixture simmer on low heat for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Check flavor and add additional seasoning to suit your taste.
He served his chili with grated cheese, chopped onions and seasoned crackers.
Related chili recipes:

2 comments:

  1. Meta- I want to come cook with you in your kitchen sometime. I'm jealous of your stove, it looks awesome to use!

    I've never put flour in my chili before or used broth. Sounds like something I just might have to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be fun!
    And, I certainly don't use wine in my chili but he's a "grab and go" cook . . . and most often he creates some really tasty dishes. As I mentioned . . . the problem is getting the recipes on paper.

    ReplyDelete