#1 Rating - Colette's Meatloaf (it makes the BEST sandwich, too)


     Our quest for the “best” meatloaf may be over! We really liked the Glazed Meatloaf that I posted last fall. But when our nephew and his wife were here, Colette (West) was telling me that she will only eat one recipe and immediately texted her friend (Tracy Carbaugh) to send it.
Colette's Meatloaf on top of
cheesy orzo pasta, with peas and
 carrots.
     I made it yesterday – loved the taste, the texture and the ease of preparation! It has moved to the #1 slot on our meatloaf scorecard. But the real test -- it made a great sandwich. According to Barry, "This is the BEST meatloaf sandwich I've had for a long time!"
     Since I associate this recipe with niece Colette, I've assigned her name to it. Also, I was unsure about a couple of the ingredients so  have my take on them added in parenthesis.

Colette’s Meatloaf  
1½ lbs. ground beef  (I used 85% lean)
½ cup cracker crumbs (I used Club® crackers – there are 4 “sleeves” per box; less than half of a “sleeve” made ½ cup of crumbs – they were crumbed in the food processor)
2 eggs beaten
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
¼ cup chopped onion
½ teaspoon sage (I used about 1 tsp. of finely chopped fresh)
1 teaspoon seasoned salt (I used garlic salt)
           
Sauce           
Ingredients are ready to mix together.
3 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons ketchup
½ teaspoon mustard (I used the ground variety)
           
1.     Preheat oven to 400°. Spray or grease a loaf pan
2.     In a mixing bowl combine all the meatloaf ingredients – mix well but avoid overmixing as this can create a dense loaf.
3.     Shape mixture into a loaf (it will be quite moist) and place in prepared loaf pan. (I used our Perfect Meatloaf® pan.)
4.     Combine sauce ingredients and spread over the top of the meatloaf.
Meatloaf is ready to go into the oven

5.     Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
6.     Grip insert of Perfect Meatloaf® pan by handles. Lift meatloaf to platter or cutting board; tent with foil and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing. (Standing will help keep the meatloaf from breaking apart as it is sliced.

No comments:

Post a Comment